R200 discount for liking us on FB
Johannesburg - The case against Rudolph Viviers, who is accused of killing a Muslim man, was postponed by the High Court in Johannesburg on Monday.
“The case is postponed to March 25 so that the court can allow further submissions to be made for a trial date to be set,” said Judge GM Makhanya.
Hentie Nortje, for Viviers, said his client had run out of money and was seeking legal assistance from the State.
“We ask for a provisional date to finalise arrangement for Legal Aid. The process has started at the Legal Aid Board,” he said.
Viviers and another man, Zayne van Tonder, 33, allegedly insulted Muhammad Fayaaz Kazi and his friend Anser Mahmood about their beards at a Chicken Licken outlet in Magaliesburg on August 6, 2012.
An argument and a fight ensued. Kazi was severely beaten and died in hospital.
Charges against Van Tonder were later dropped and he was released.
Viviers was denied bail by the Krugersdorp Regional Court last month, when the case was transferred to the high court.
Magistrate Reginald Dama ruled that Viviers had failed to convince the court it would be in the interest of justice to grant him bail.
He remains in custody in the Krugersdorp prison.