Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Cape Town - The Mitchells Plain man allegedly found in possession of a cache of firearms and ammunition belonging to slain underworld boss Cyril Beeka is expected to be tried next month.
Waleed Douman appeared briefly in the Cape Town Regional Court on Friday.
Prosecutor Mbulelo Koti said the matter was ready to proceed to trial and that all documents had been supplied to the defence. Douman’s lawyer, advocate Rueben Liddel, agreed the case could be postponed.
Douman, who is out on R5 000 bail, has been charged with the illegal possession of firearms and more than 200 rounds of ammunition. He faces seven counts including the illegal possession of firearms and ammunition and giving a firearm to a person not allowed to possess it.
The weapons Douman was allegedly found in possession of have been linked to one of the companies Beeka owned.
Beeka, who owned a number of security companies, was gunned down in a drive-by shooting in Bellville South in March 2011.
On February 9 last year, police raided the Prestwich offices of Red Security, a Green Point-based security company run by Beeka’s older brother, Edward.
They found pistols and more than 200 rounds of ammunition registered to Confidential Deterrent Systems, another Beeka company.
Koti told the court on Friday that a date had been arranged for the trial and the matter could be postponed by agreement.
Douman was warned to return to court on March 27 when he is expected to plead to the charges.
A second trial date of April 26 had also been arranged.