Beheading case: bail hearing date set

Comment on this story

Durban - The bail hearing of two people accused of decapitating a Durban prostitute was postponed in the Durban Regional Court on Wednesday.

The two, who are part of a group of six accused of killing Desiree Murugan, appeared briefly. Magistrate Anand Maharaj postponed their bail hearing to September 22.

Sivonkaliso Mbili, 32, and Vusumuzi Gumede, 30, were told their legal team had agreed to the date.

They are accused along with Falakhe Khumalo, 18, and three minors.

Municipal workers found Murugan's body at Shallcross stadium last month.

The Daily News reported at the time that the 39-year-old had a six-year-old son and worked as a prostitute. She reportedly had a drug habit.

Her head was found in Imfume on the KwaZulu-Natal south coast.

At the time police spokesman Colonel Jay Naicker said one of the accused was a traditional healer.

The regional court was packed to capacity on Wednesday.

It was not immediately clear when and if the three minors and Khumalo would appear in court.


sign up

Comment Guidelines

  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

  5. Verified email addresses: All users on Independent Media news sites are now required to have a verified email address before being allowed to comment on articles. You are only required to verify your email address once to have full access to commenting on articles. For more information please read our comment guidelines