Advertisement

Brickz rape case postponed

Johannesburg - Kwaito musician Sipho Charles Ndlovu, also known as “Brickz”, accused of raping a 17-year-old girl, appeared in the Roodepoort Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.

The matter was postponed to September 18 for the national director of public prosecutions (NDPP) to make a decision.

Kwaito star "Brickz" is seen in the Roodepoort Magistrate's Court. File picture: Itumeleng English. Credit: INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPERS

Ndlovu's newly-appointed legal representative Dumisani Mabunda took over the matter on August 1.

At the time, he asked the court to postpone the case to allow him to make representations to the NDPP.

On Tuesday, he told the court he submitted his representations to the State on August 10, received acknowledgment of receipt on the 15th, and was told the State had sent the representations to the NDPP, but was awaiting a decision on the matter.

During his last court appearance, Mabunda said the case against his client was “weak and filled with holes”.

The 32-year-old musician is accused of raping the girl at his home in Honeydew, Johannesburg, in March last year. The rape was only reported in October.

After an unsuccessful bail application in the magistrate's court, Ndlovu's lawyers went to the high court where they secured him bail of R50 000 in December.

During bail proceedings, Ndlovu's lawyer at the time indicated he intended pleading not guilty.

Sapa

SHOW ALL
Advertisement