Brickz wants rape case dropped

brickz INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPERS Kwaito star "Brickz" is seen in the Roodepoort Magistrate's Court. File picture: Itumeleng English

Johannesburg - Kwaito musician Sipho ''Brickz'' Ndlovu, accused of raping a 17-year-old girl, wants the case withdrawn, the Roodepoort Magistrate's Court heard on Friday.

Ndlovu's newly-appointed legal representative, Dumisani Mabunda, asked the court to postpone the case to later this month to allow him to make representations to the national director of public prosecutions (NDPP).

The case was postponed to August 26, after Ndlovu, known as Brickz in the music industry, appeared briefly in court on Friday.

The postponement was granted with the understanding that the representations needed to be finalised.

Before court proceedings, the musician, dressed in a purple jersey and beige trousers, joked with friends and family and posed for photos with a fan in the corridor of the court.

“I have obtained the contents of the docket only today and need time to study it to make proper presentations to the NDPP,” Mabunda told reporters outside court after the postponement.

Mabunda said the case against his client was “weak and filled with holes”.

The 32-year-old musician is accused of raping the girl at his home in Honeydew, Johannesburg, in March last year. The alleged rape was only reported in October.

After an unsuccessful bail application in the magistrate's court, Ndlovu's lawyers went to the high court, where they secured him R50 000 bail in December.

During bail proceedings, Ndlovu's lawyer indicated he intended pleading not guilty. - Sapa



sign up