Businessman’s graft case withdrawnComment on this story
Durban - A case of bribery and corruption against businessman Toshan Panday and Colonel Navin Madhoe was provisionally withdrawn by the Durban High Court on Monday.
State prosecutor Wendy Greef said the matter was being withdrawn on the instructions of acting Director of Public Prosecutions advocate Moipone Noko. She did not provide reasons.
Panday and Madhoe were accused of attempting to bribe KwaZulu-Natal Hawks' boss Major-General Johan Booysen.
They allegedly offered Booysen R2 million to backdate a report on an investigation into accommodation tenders worth R60m.
NPA spokeswoman Natasha Ramkisson said the men's legal representatives made representations to Noko in which they raised concerns.
Ramkisson said Noko was not in a position to divulge the information at present and needed more time to investigate the concerns raised.
She said the matter had been provisionally withdrawn, but that this did not mean the case had been withdrawn and the accused had been cleared of the crime. - Sapa