Johannesburg - The Brits Regional Court on Monday provisionally withdrew fraud charges against a doctor who allegedly defrauded private medical schemes and the compensation fund, the labour department said.
According to court papers the specialised commercial crime unit would conduct further investigations in the matter involving Dr Ganesh Anil Anirudhra, spokesman Page Boikanyo said in a statement.
“The documents said there might be possible areas of investigation which might have a bearing on the decision not to/to continue with the prosecution, especially in view of allegations made by Dr Anil.”
Boikanyo said previously, the State needed a decision from the national director of public prosecutions to decide which court had jurisdiction to prosecute the matter.
The 51-year-old, out on R20,000 bail, faced 319 charges for allegedly defrauding the Bonitas medical scheme and the department's compensation fund between 2008 and 2012.
The fund, a public entity under the department's authority, provides cover for workers injured or who fall ill at the workplace.
“He is alleged to have left a trail of fictitious claims against the fund claiming to have treated 'injured workers' whom he did not treat,” Boikanyo said.
Anirudhra allegedly made 218 illegal claims to Bonitas.
He was allegedly on the run for years until the Hawks arrested him at George Mukhari Hospital in Garankuwa, where he worked, in December 2012.
About 15 witnesses were expected to testify.
He was previously convicted for fraud in 1989 and 1991.
“It is also alleged that he practised as a gynaecologist while only registered as a general practitioner,” said Boikanyo.