Concern over murder suspect’s releaseComment on this story
Kabokweni - Mpumalanga community safety MEC Vusi Shongwe has bemoaned the release on warning of murder accused Godfrey Sambo, also known as “Spykos”.
“Sambo's release has the potential of undermining the community's faith in the criminal justice processes,” Shongwe said on Tuesday.
The move could undermine the morale of police officers who worked hard to bring crime suspects to book.
“Whilst we acknowledge everyone remains innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, we believe that the nature of charges against Sambo should have necessitated a different approach to his bail application,” said thje MEC.
“We believe the suspect's release under the prevailing circumstances could discourage our hard-working police officers.”
Shongwe said the well-being of the victims of Sambo's alleged actions should have been considered.
He called on the Mpumalanga provincial commissioner General Thulani Ntobela and the head of prosecutions in the province to review Sambo's release.
Sambo faces two charges of murder, one of business robbery, and two charges of possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition.
He was arrested in June last year in Prinsloo Street, Pretoria, after police received a tip-off about where he was hiding.
Sambo was released on warning by the Kabokweni Magistrate's Court on Friday.