Court hears Mngeni admissionsComment on this story
Cape Town - A video of a man detailing the night he allegedly hijacked murdered honeymoon bride Anni Dewani's vehicle was shown in the Western Cape High Court on Tuesday.
Xolile Mngeni was seen making admissions to Captain Adolf Jonker on November 16, 2010.
He said he got a lift to tourist spot Mzoli's in Gugulethu on the evening of November 13, 2010, where he walked with a man named “Mawewe” to a nearby fourway-stop.
He told Jonker it was there that they lay in wait to hijack a vehicle.
The video formed part of a trial-within-a-trial, in which the judge had to decide whether the State could admit it as evidence to be used later in the trial.
The defence had argued the statement was made under duress and also questioned the video's authenticity.
Anni Dewani was killed in Gugulethu on November 13, 2010, in an apparent hijacking while on honeymoon with her husband Shrien.
Mngeni has pleaded not guilty to charges of kidnapping, robbery with aggravating circumstances, murder, and illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition.
In the video, Mngeni said he was “taking a leak” when Mawewe saw a vehicle and shouted to him: “There it is”.
Mawewe stood in the middle of the road, pointed a gun at the car and beckoned the driver to stop.
Mngeni said he saw a white man and woman in the back seat.
He sat in the front passenger seat while his accomplice drove the vehicle.
One of Dewani's convicted killers and State witness, Mziwamadoda Qwabe, previously told the court he had also been urinating that night while waiting for the vehicle. He had testified that Mngeni had a gun and stopped the vehicle.
The trial continues. - Sapa