Cape Town - The Western Cape High Court will on Monday hear a Sanral application for information about the proposed N1/N2 Winelands Toll Highway Project to be kept secret, the City of Cape Town said.
The application would be heard behind closed doors, mayoral committee member for transport Brett Herron said on Tuesday.
In May last year, the high court granted the city an interim interdict preventing the SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) from implementing or advancing the toll project, including the conclusion of any contract or start of construction. The city is opposing the project.
The interdict remains in force until the city's application is finalised. The city wants Sanral's declaration of the project and the selection of the preferred bidder to be reviewed and set aside.
On Monday, Sanral is expected to argue that the city should not be allowed to file its supplementary papers, part of its broader application, as a public record.
According to Herron, the papers contain information about the cost of the project, the expected socio-economic impact of the tolls and what the proposed toll fees would be spent on.
Herron said: “If the ruling is in favour of Sanral, information of great public importance about the proposed tolling of these roads and the construction thereof (to be funded by public money), will be withheld from the public.
“However, if the ruling is in favour of the city, the public disclosure of this information will go ahead as the matter will then be argued in an open court.”
Asked for comment, Sanral spokesman Vusi Mona said: “This matter is currently in court and Sanral respects the sub judice principle”.