Tony Yengeni reiterated that the case was a result of a conspiracy by the Western Cape DA. Picture: Leon Lestrade

Cape Town – The ANC is not responding at this stage to the conviction of its national executive committee member Tony Yengeni on a charge of drunken driving.

Yengeni was sentenced in the Cape Town regional Magistrate’s Court on Friday to a fine of R15 000 (or 45 days in prison) following a conviction on a 2013 charge of drunken driving.

He was acquitted on a charge of reckless driving.

On Sunday ANC spokesperson Zizi Kokwa said the party will be making an official statement on Monday but wouldn’t be drawn into details of the statement.

Yengeni reiterated his belief that the case against him was a result of a political conspiracy by the DA in the Western Cape.

But the DA rubbished his claims.

“Mr Yengeni’s accusation is false and unfounded and an attempt to deflect responsibility and avoid accountability,” the party’s shadow minister on police, Zak Mbhele, said.

“He must face the consequences of his drunk driving according to the law and not think that he is above the law,” Mbhele said.

“This sends a positive message to the public about driving while under the influence of alcohol and should serve as a reminder to motorists that drunk driving will not be tolerated, as it puts the lives of motorists and pedestrians at risk."

“The DA would also like to congratulate law enforcement for taking action in this case, proving that they will take action to protect motorists without fear or favour.”

Yengeni, 62, was arrested after police noticed him driving erratically in his Maserati in Green Point, Cape Town.

It was later found that his alcohol level was five times over the legal limit.

Yengeni maintained at the time that he had had only three sips of traditional beer earlier that day at his home in Gugulethu.

Cape Times