Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Durban - Three minors and 27 adults accused of public violence following an EFF event near President Jacob Zuma's Nkandla homestead will go to trial in May, the NPA said on Tuesday.
“The accused appeared in court today and the matter was adjourned to May 19 for trial,” National Prosecuting Authority spokeswoman Natasha Ramkisson-Kara said.
The trial had been set down for four days in the Nkandla Magistrate's Court.
The arrested were granted bail of R500 each last month, on condition they not interfere with witnesses. The minors were released into the care of their guardians.
Last month, the Economic Freedom Fighters and their leader Julius Malema handed over a house they had built for a woman and her grandchildren. The house is about 300 metres from Zuma's KwaZulu-Natal homestead. There was a massive police presence at the event.
When Malema arrived for the handover, African National Congress members prevented his car from advancing, forcing him to get out and walk to the house. After he made it through the crowd, ANC supporters began throwing bottles of water and stones.
Later, the ANC supporters were on a nearby hill when EFF members emerged from their meeting and began singing. Some of the ANC group began throwing stones at them and police intervened using truncheons, a water cannon, and teargas. Rubber bullets were fired and people ran and dived for cover.