Pretoria - Minister of Justice and Correctional Services Michael Masutha has put the parole application of apartheid-era criminal Eugene de Kock on hold, pending the completion of due processes, which include consultation with victims and families.
He said families of victims had not been consulted as required by law, a fact confirmed in a meeting he held with two families last week.
“During my consideration of the matter, it became doubtful to me whether the victims or their families had been consulted,” he said
The minister met with the Maponya and Leballo families on July 4.
The meeting had been convened particularly to find out if they had been given an opportunity to make inputs or representations during the parole hearings by both the parole board and the National Council for Correctional Services.
Outlining the processes leading to consideration of parole, Masutha said he had noted progress reports compiled by the relevant professionals and bodies.
“I have noted the progress he is reported to have made to improve his skills while in custody, as well as the assistance Mr De Kock is said to have provided and continues to provide to the Missing Persons Task Team of the National Prosecution Authority,” the minister told a press briefing.
“In the circumstances, I have not approved parole at this stage but have directed that a further profile be resubmitted not later than 12 months from today.”
De Kock is serving a life sentence for the murders of Japie Maponya and the Nelspruit 5, of which Tisetso Leballo was one.
The minister said he would make a decision on the parole application after a new profile, which would include the input of families, was given to him.