Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
An urgent interdict to set aside the arrests of 20 members of the now disbanded Durban Organised Crime Unit was due to be heard in Durban on Wednesday.
The 20 were arrested on Wednesday by a team of 60 people, who also searched the police officers' homes and work places.
Hawks' spokesman McIntosh Polela confirmed at a news conference that the interdict was being sought.
The matter would apparently be heard in chambers by Judge Trevor Gorven.
The arrests were part of a joint operation by the Hawks and the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID).
Three members were arrested in Gauteng - two in Hammanskraal, north of Pretoria, and one on the West Rand. The rest were arrested in various locations around Durban.
He said the unit's commanding officer Maj-Gen Johan Booysen, who was also the KwaZulu-Natal boss of the Hawks, was not one of the 20.
Those arrested were taken to the SA Police Service air wing at the old Durban International Airport.
None of them resisted arrest, Polela said.
IPID spokesman Moses Dlamini confirmed the operation.
Dlamini said that 15 investigators had been probing various complaints since December last year.
Polela said a quantity of counterfeit money was also seized during the arrests.
The 20 face charges ranging from murder and the unlawful possession of ammunition to theft and assault.
The unit was shut down in February amid allegations that an alleged death squad operated in the Cato Manor crime unit.
Most of its members have since been incorporated into the Hawks.
Booysen was issued with a notice of suspension in March, but it was later set aside.
He faced allegations of negligence or failing to act in connection with the alleged death squad.
Those arrested can be named only after appearing in court, which is expected to happen on Thursday. - Sapa