Drug lab ‘cook’ due to stand trial shot dead

Comment on this story
Copy of ca p7 david orr shooting done CAPE ARGUS Police inspect the vehicle of David Orr, an alleged Mandrax cook, who was shot dead. Picture: David Ritchie

Cape Town -

The man believed to be the “cook” in a gang’s Mandrax lab was shot and killed outside his house in Rissik Street, Parow, on Tuesday.

David “Baby” Orr was due to stand trial in the Khayelitsha drug court on June 23, on his following his arrest on charges of drug dealing in February last year.

It has been alleged that he was considering a plea-bargain agreement with the Hawks, which could have impacted on the case against his three co-accused – Abdul Bashier Adendorf and Brendon Smith from Uitsig, and Kenneth Hansen from Bellville – although the Hawks say that this was not the case.

The arrests followed the discovery of a drug laboratory at a Durbanville house owned by alleged Sexy Boys gang leader Jerome “Donkie” Booysen.

The lab was discovered after a police officer stopped at the address to enquire about a vehicle parked in the driveway. As the officer knocked on the front door, flames engulfed the back of the house. Chemical gases were emitted and an investigation by the Hawks confirmed that the house had been used to make Mandrax.

After five days, forensics officials carried out 250-litre drums of chemicals. The Mandrax allegedly being manufactured at this and another two premises discovered later was known as “Bentley” on the streets.

A security source, who spoke to the Cape Argus anonymously, said Orr had broken ranks with his three co-accused. The source said Orr had expressed a desire to enter a plea-bargain deal with the Hawks.

The Cape Argus asked Hawks investigating officer, Colonel Koos Jooste, to confirm that Orr had been in negotiations with the Hawks.

“Absolutely not,” he responded. “The Hawks were in a position to bring evidence before the court against the four accused.”

On Tuesday Orr’s friends and family gathered in Rissik Street, while police and forensics investigated. .

His brother, Cedric Orr, told the Cape Argus that he knew only the bare details of the shooting.

Police spokesman LieutenantColonel Andrè Traut said Orr had been approached by two gunmen and shot as he left his home and walked towards his vehicle.

The gunmen ran off and a worker at Orr’s premises gave chase. He was shot in the foot.

Anyone with information can call Crime Stop at 08600 10111.

[email protected]

Cape Argus

sign up

Comment Guidelines

  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

  5. Verified email addresses: All users on Independent Media news sites are now required to have a verified email address before being allowed to comment on articles. You are only required to verify your email address once to have full access to commenting on articles. For more information please read our comment guidelines