Accomplices in the killing of fashion designer Richard Bloom and budding actor Brett Goldin will make another bid on Wednesday to be set free.
The pair’s families have been advised that convicts Jade Wyngaard and Nurshad Davids have served six years of their 12-year sentences, but stand to benefit from an amendment to the Correctional Services Act and President Jacob Zuma’s special prisoner remission.
Davids and Wyngaard were initially sentenced to 15 years each for robbery, kidnapping and possession of an unlicensed firearm, but three years were taken off because they agreed to testify for the State at the trial – which never happened because a plea bargain took place.
Brett’s mother, Denise Goldin, said she had been advised that the pair were due to apply for parole from Drakenstein prison.
She said they understood that an amendment to the Correctional Services Act stated that prisoners “can be conditionally released after completion of half of the sentence”.
The letter to Goldin warning them of the proposed hearing on Wednesday also said the two men, 18 and 19 at the time of their sentencing, would also get six months’ special remission of sentence because of the amnesty.
On April 27, Zuma announced a blanket six-month remission to all prisoners, while a further 12-month remission was granted to inmates serving for non-violent crimes.
Goldin said she would oppose the parole again for the same reasons as in November.
Writing to Goldin last year, police investigator Kenneth Speed wrote: “Nurshad Davids was one of the occupants of the BMW who participated in the initial robbery and kidnapping. He was not involved with the murders.”
But Goldin said in response: “If they are released, they will have served just five-and-a-half years, which would make a mockery of the judicial system.”
Samantha Behrmann, sister of the late Brett Goldin, added: “This is no longer just about my brother, this is about fighting the moral decay of our society.”
On the occasion of Davids’s first application in November, Bloom’s father, Tony, said: “We don’t believe he has any right or recourse to apply for (parole).”
An online petition was established at the time, opposing the parole application.
Among those supporting the family is acclaimed actress Janet Suzman.
She told the Cape Argus: “I feel that it is time for zero tolerance.
“This man was an accessory to murder. Even if he did not pull the trigger, he played an onerous role in their murder.
“If he gets parole, if he prances out into the sunlight, it only says to the type of people he consorts with that ‘See, it’s not so bad!’ ’’ she said.
The petition, which has now been resubmitted, reads: “On the 16th April 2006, Brett Goldin and Richard Bloom were hijacked/kidnapped/assaulted/robbed at gunpoint and ultimately murdered. The perpetrators were quickly brought to justice and convicted.
“One of the individuals involved in this heinous crime was not found guilty of murder, but of hijacking, kidnapping and armed robbery.
‘‘He was sentenced to 15 years’ imprisonment with 3 years suspended on condition he testify in the main trial. His effective prison sentence was 12 years. After serving only 5 years and 5 months, he has lodged an application with the parole board!
“We, as law-abiding citizens of South Africa, oppose this application in the strongest possible terms and demand that all the criminals in this case serve their full sentences as handed down by the High Court of South Africa.”