The affordable education loan option
Johannesburg - A Soweto family are angry with the police for allegedly failing to link their 24-year-old daughter as an accomplice in the murder of her four-year-old child.
On Monday, the family arrived at the Protea Magistrate’s Court hoping that their daughter would be charged along with her 29-year-old boyfriend for the murder of Neo Talekwa.
Neo was found murdered on Saturday, allegedly by her mother’s boyfriend.
The four-year-old girl was allegedly killed after she had soiled herself, which is believed to have angered the man.
Police had arrived at the couple’s shack after a neighbour alerted them that the child had been crying nonstop on Friday night.
Police said paramedics certified the girl dead upon arrival.
Police spokesman Kay Makhubela said the girl was found lying face down with bruises all over her body.
On Monday, the murder accused, Charles Monare, appeared briefly in court.
The child’s mother was not in the accused box, and that angered her relatives. The woman’s relatives sat in the public gallery hoping that the mother stayed behind bars.
The case was postponed to September 10 to allow for further investigations.
Makhubela said the woman has now turned State witness.
However, the family left the court disappointed.
Speaking outside court, Onica Monahang, the guardian of the 24-year-old mother, said she was disappointed that Monare appeared by himself.
Monahang said she wanted the police to act and have the mother brought to book.
“We want her to testify in court and say what happened on Saturday. We are tired of burying her children… She needs to answer to this matter”, said Monahang.
She added that this was the mother’s second child to die in the past three years.
“I’m tired of burying her children. If she has been released, we don’t want her close to us. She must bury this child by herself,” she said.