Former SA cricketer denies rape claim

IOL crime tape blue yellow . .

East London - A former South African cricketer has been accused of rape.

The man is alleged to have raped a woman on Saturday evening after leaving a party in Cintsa, Eastern Cape.

The woman has opened a case of rape at the Gonubie police station in East London.

According to the Daily Dispatch newspaper in East London, the cricketer denied raping the woman and denied being informed about the accusation.

The newspaper reports that the man had spent the weekend with the complainant and a group of other people to celebrate a friend’s 40th birthday.

The paper also reports that the man allegedly offered to give the complainant a lift back to the resort they were booked into as her husband was not yet ready to leave the café where the birthday celebrations were taking place.

Instead of driving to the resort, the man allegedly drove to a farm and then dragged the victim out of the car and raped her.

The matter is being investigated by police, who have taken statements from witnesses.

Eastern Cape police spokesman Lieutenant Khaya Tonjeni said the case had been opened, but the man had not yet been formally charged.

He said the cricketer would appear in an East London court once he had been arrested.

 

The man cannot be named until he appears in court.

The cricketer played for the South African national team and represented the country in the 1992 World Cup.

Another national and international cricketer, Makhaya Ntini, was found guilty of the rape of a 22-year-old housekeeper at the Buffalo Park cricket ground in East London in 1998. Ntini was sentenced to six years in prison.

The conviction was later overturned by the Grahamstown High Court.

Cape Times



sign up