Fraud suspects back in court

Comment on this story


IOL pic may21 justice scales gavel

Independent Newspapers

The eThekwini municipality has been temporarily interdicted from advertising, processing or awarding certain tenders.

Johannesburg - The trial of two former employees of the Department of Labour accused of swindling millions from the Compensation Fund is set to resume on Monday.

The department said on Friday that proceedings against Maxwell Ramaphosa and Samuel Mfeleng, both aged 36, were postponed earlier this month by the Pretoria Magistrate's Court when prosecutor Margaret Thulare fell ill.

The two allegedly defrauded the fund of over R2.1-million and face 15 counts of fraud and 26 of money laundering.

They are also linked to two other fraud cases. Boikanyo said in one case they were accused of being part of a group of seven who defrauded the fund of over R1-million.

They were also accused of being part of a group of four who defrauded the department of about R500 000.

Sentencing of one of their co-accused, physiotherapist Jurry Sehunoe, would start on July 2.

Mfeleng and Ramaphosa were previously granted R3 000 bail each.

The fund provides compensation for workers who are injured or suffer from diseases contracted during their employment. It also covers people who die from such injuries or diseases. - Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory