Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Johannesburg - A number of interested parties have thrown their weight behind the SA Human Rights Commission's attempt to stop the demolition of more houses in Lenasia, Johannesburg, the commission said on Wednesday.
Speaking outside the High Court in Johannesburg, SAHRC spokesman Isaac Mangena said the group included banks, property developers, non-governmental organisations, and the provincial SA Communist Party.
SAHRC lawyers were meant to submit affidavits on Wednesday, after the court granted an urgent application forcing the department to stop with demolitions.
Last week the Gauteng local government and housing department tore down about 50 houses built illegally on government land. Over 100 houses were supposed to be destroyed on Monday, but the interdict put a stop to this.
The department maintained it was acting within the law and that residents were warned not to build on the plots, as the land had been chosen for government housing.
On Monday, residents blockaded roads leading into Lenasia with rocks and burning tyres.
The case continues on Thursday. - Sapa