Start making sense of your financial wellness.

Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv

Gun negligence case postponed


IOL pic jun13 judge gavel

sxc.hu

 

Johannesburg - A man who allegedly accidentally shot his son at a hunting expo in Midrand appeared briefly in the Alexandra Magistrate's Court on Thursday.

Prosecutor Ayanda Bakana told the court the ballistics report was complete but protocol demanded the investigating officer collect it from Pretoria.

“But the investigating officer's phone has just been ringing and he has not answered,” Bakana told the court.

Sean Kotzin, who appeared in the dock wearing a black fleece jacket over a yellow checked shirt, has been charged with negligent use of a firearm.

Kotzin's seven-year-old son was critically wounded at HuntEx, at Gallagher Estate on Monday, April 28, when they went into a toilet cubicle and Kotzin's gun went off. The boy was shot in the chest.

He was arrested on April 30 and released on R2000 bail at his first court appearance.

Lee Binneman, for Kotzin, asked that the case be struck from the roll, arguing that the State would not be ready to proceed at the next court date.

“We submit that the case be struck from the court roll.”

She argued the case was previously postponed finally for Thursday. Kotzin ran his own business and the time coming to court interfered with his ability to provide for his family.

Binneman said his client had the right to a fair and speedy trial.

Magistrate Deon Schnetler postponed the case until July 17.

In May, HuntEx said the child was recovering well.

“The family told us the boy was doing well and sent us a photograph,” organiser Adriaan Woudstra said at the time. - Sapa


sign up
 

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory