Hawks’ SBV robbers hunt continuesComment on this story
Johannesburg - The search for a gang of sophisticated robbers who stole millions from the SBV Cash Centre in Witbank a week ago continued on Sunday, the Hawks said.
Captain Paul Ramaloko said no one had been arrested in connection with the crime by 10.30am on Sunday.
The gang stole between R40m and R50m in the raid last Monday, he said.
“By the look of it, it doesn't appear to us they are ordinary criminals. They had some knowledge of operations of SVB... (and) the closed circuit TV (surveillance) system was cut off.
“They wanted money. They hadn't harmed the guards, but gave them poison.”
It was not yet clear what substance the robbers forced the guards to take, but experts were investigating this aspect of the case, Ramaloko said.
According to a report in the Sunday Independent, the heist was one of the largest in South African history. Unnamed sources claimed the amount stolen could be as much as R90m.
Last week the company offered a reward of R1m for information that would lead to the arrest and successful conviction of the robbers. - Sapa