CLOSE X
Advertisement

Health dept office declared safe after blast

Crime & Courts

Pretoria - The offices of the national health department in Pretoria central have been declared safe after a man started a fire in reception earlier this week, health ministry spokesman Joe Maila said on Friday.

Share this story
02/07/2014. Members of the South African Police Services arresting a man who is suspected of blowing up the entrance of the Department of Health in the Pretoria CBD. Picture: Oupa Mokoena

“The building was declared free from threat and officials of the department are back at work,” he said.

The police and the Tshwane fire department worked to ascertain the safety of the building before staff were allowed back in.

Officials were evacuated from the building on Wednesday after a man poured a flammable substance in the reception area and set it alight.

He ran off but was caught by security guards and handed over to police.

“The suspect is presently in police custody,” said Maila.

He said no one was injured. The motive for the incident was not yet known. - Sapa

Share this story
Advertisement
X