Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Pretoria - The trial of former Nigerian Olympic athlete Ambrose Monye and Andre Gouws accused of the murder of a Pretoria woman was postponed in the High Court in Pretoria on Monday.
The matter would continue on Wednesday to allow Gouws time to appoint a new lawyer.
“Are you satisfied with that?” acting Judge Johan Kruger asked him.
“I have no choice,” he replied.
Gouws earlier requested the matter be postponed after he ended the mandate of his Legal Aid lawyer Van Zyl Nel on November 15, stating he did not have enough time to prepare.
“You cannot prepare for a case of this magnitude nine days prior to the start,” he said.
Monye and Gouws are accused of the murder of Chanelle Henning. They face charges of murder, conspiracy to murder and illegal possession of a firearm.
Henning was shot dead while driving along Manitoba Drive in Faerie Glen, Pretoria East last year. She had just dropped off her son at a creche.
Gouws asked to be allowed a computer in his cell.
He said the State gave him the disclosure on a DVD and he did not have access to a computer.
“I cannot prepare myself for this case if I don't have a computer in my cell.”
State prosecutor Gerrie Nel argued Gouws had had enough time and that a delay would prejudice the case and witnesses.
The judge said the request for a computer was not an issue for the court to deal with on Monday. It was something Gouws' new lawyer would have to take up.
Nel said he was in favour of the trial continuing on Wednesday to allow for a new legal team to be appointed.
“The State is ready to proceed,” he said. - Sapa