Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Pretoria - The trial of former Nigerian Olympic athlete Ambrose Monye and Andre Gouws accused of the murder of a Pretoria woman was postponed in the High Court in Pretoria on Wednesday.
Proceedings will resume on Monday next week to allow Gouws time to consult with a new Legal Aid lawyer, who will be appointed this week.
Monye and Gouws are charged with murdering Chanelle Henning, who was shot dead while driving in Faerie Glen, in Pretoria East, last year shortly after dropping off her child at a creche. They also face charges of conspiracy to murder and illegal possession of a firearm.
Gouws' former Legal Aid lawyer Van Zyl Nel said new legal representation would be appointed by Friday.
“Legal Aid SA will appoint counsel for him.”
The new lawyer would either be from the Johannesburg Legal Aid office or a private lawyer.
Prosecutor Gerrie Nel said Gouws was using his right of legal representation to delay the proceedings.
He said witnesses were called to court again, some with security, and the State was ready to proceed.
Twelve heavily armed guards from the department of correctional services were stationed inside court.
Acting Judge Johan Kruger warned Gouws he should give his full co-operation to the new lawyer and it was not in the interest of justice to continue postponing the trial.
“This is the final time the case will be postponed.”
Gouws ended the mandate of Nel on November 15. - Sapa