Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Durban - Arrest warrants have been issued for three teenage girls, who escaped from a place of safety, after they were charged with the hijacking of Durban North property agent Dorothy Carlyle in October.
The teenagers, who cannot be named because they are minors, and their co-accused S’thembiso Ntombela, 22, and Linolokuhle Dlamini, 25, both of KwaMashu, are charged with robbery with aggravating circumstances and kidnapping.
On Tuesday, Dlamini and Ntombela, who were denied bail, appeared in the Durban Regional Court without their co-accused. The court heard that the teenagers had still not been found.
Carlyle, 60, was hijacked at knifepoint in the driveway of her home.
According to the State, the hijackers tied Carlyle up, blindfolded her and put her into the boot of her car.
She spent nine hours in the boot, was stabbed and forced to hand over her bank card and PIN number and money was withdrawn from her account.
The State also alleges the girls were passengers in the car and knew that Carlyle was in the boot. The court ordered the girls be kept at Ocean View Place of Safety after they were forced to abandon their bail applications in October when their families did not want them to come home. Their families told the investigating officer they had no control over their children who disappeared for days and didn’t go to school.
Prosecutor Kuveshni Pillay said warrants of arrest had been issued for the teenagers.
Legal aid attorney Thobile Sigcau confirmed he would be representing Dlamini and Ntombela. Magistrate Anand Maharaj adjourned the matter to January.