Johannesburg - A Springs man accused of abusing his wife and five children and holding them captive was back in prison after he slit his wrists, police said on Friday.
The 36-year-old was discharged from the Far East Rand Hospital in Springs on Thursday, after he cut open his wrists in the Springs Magistrate's Court's holding cells, Lt-Col Lungelo Dlamini said.
“He slit his wrists with a sharp object but we are still investigating how he got hold of the object,” Dlamini said.
He may not be named to protect the identity of his family. He was arrested last month for allegedly assaulting his wife and five children and keeping them captive.
He faces charges of child abuse, rape, assault, and defeating the ends of justice.
Magistrate Roy le Roux found on Thursday he had not convinced the court that it was in the interests of justice to release him on bail. He cut himself after the bail ruling.
He had made a false statement that his son was missing, and could be charged with perjury.
“The State has a strong case as far as attempted murder is concerned,” Le Roux said in his ruling.
He was referring to a medical report on one of the man's children, an 11-year-old boy. He had numerous bruises and scars, including one on his head, allegedly from being hit with a knobkerrie.
Threats by local residents against the man, should he be granted bail, were also taken into consideration.
The case was postponed to June 12 for the man to obtain Legal Aid.