Housing department in court over demolitions

Comment on this story


IOL news nov 12  lenasia demolished

THE STAR

Residents inspect the remains of their homes in Lenasia on Friday after they were demolished by Housing Department officials and police. File Photo: Itumeleng English

Johannesburg - The Gauteng Department of Local Government and Housing is expected to respond on Thursday to an interdict brought by the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) about the demolition of Lenasia houses.

The matter would be heard in the High Court in Johannesburg.

The SAHRC filed an application on Monday calling for an urgent interdict preventing the demolition.

The court ordered the commission to file answering affidavits by noon on Wednesday.

The bulldozing of the houses began last Thursday. The housing department said the land the houses were built on was meant for government housing.

About 50 houses have been destroyed so far and another 113 have yet to be demolished.

The plots on which the houses were built were apparently fraudulently sold for amounts ranging from R2 500 to R95 000. The buyers were given forged deeds of sale with the department's logo.

The department said it was acting in line with the law. - Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory