Housing department responds to interdict

Comment on this story
IOL pic nov12 lenasia homes demolished Independent Newspapers The "selective" demolition of houses in Lenasia, south of Johannesburg, is aimed at uprooting the working class and poor from the area, Cosatu, Sanco and the SACP said. File photo by Itumeleng English.

Johannesburg - The Gauteng Department of Housing will argue in the Johannesburg High Court on Tuesday against an urgent interdict preventing it from demolishing illegally erected houses in Lenasia.

The South African Human Rights Commission filed an application on Monday for an urgent interdict preventing the demolition.

The Housing Department began destroying the houses on Thursday and Friday. It said the land they were built on was meant for government housing.

About 50 houses had been destroyed so far and another 113 had yet to be demolished.

The department said it was acting in line with the law.

On Monday, residents blockaded a road leading into Lenasia with rocks and burning tyres, in protest against the demolitions. They later cleared the road.

The demolitions have been widely condemned. - Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.