Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Richmond, KZN - Heritage officials have welcomed the sentence handed down to the three men for vandalising the Bambatha Uprising memorial, and said they hoped it would discourage other wreckers and scrap thieves.
Mandlakayise Zulu and Milemo Motaung received sentences of three years in prison, while Sezele Ngcobo got two years.
All the sentences were without the option of a fine.
The three, who were sentenced in the Richmond Magistrate’s Court last week, were arrested on January 19 after being found carrying bits of the brass memorial as well as the tools used to break it up.
Amafa chief executive Barry Marshall said they were satisfied with the sentence.
“We welcome this stern sentence and hope it sends out a clear message to potential vandals and thieves that this will not be tolerated.”
Marshall said they hoped that dealers who bought scrap metal from those who vandalised memorials would be treated just as sternly by the courts.
Marshall congratulated the police and the prosecuting authority on a job well done.
Just over a week ago, the Prince Imperial Memorial, near Nquthu in the Dundee district, was damaged for the second time in six months.
The vandals were believed to have been grave robbers who mistook the site for a grave.
They had destroyed a marble marker cross and damaged the supporting structure. - Daily news