Judge to decide on Oscar coverage

Comment on this story
IOL pic feb25 oscar pistorius head down in court Independent Newspapers Oscar Pistorius bows his head as he stands in the dock at the Pretoria Magistrate's Court. File picture: Masi Losi

Johannesburg - The Pretoria High Court will make a ruling on Tuesday regarding an application by media houses to broadcast the murder trial of Oscar Pistorius.

The application to film the proceedings was brought by the news channel eNCA, joined by media houses, MultiChoice and Eyewitness News.

Last week Frank Snyckers SC, for MultiChoice and Eyewitness News, told the court that media would use technologically advanced equipment that was not obtrusive and was controlled remotely.

Snyckers said media houses had secured the National Prosecuting Authority's support.

Pistorius's legal team opposed the application, arguing that broadcasting the events would lead to an unfair trial.

Barry Roux SC, for Pistorius, asked why his client's trial was not being treated like any other trial.

Pistorius is accused of killing Reeva Steenkamp, his girlfriend, in February last year.

His trial is to be heard in the Pretoria High Court from March 3 to 20.

A 24-hour TV channel dedicated to the trial will be launched on DSTV on March 2. - Sapa



sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.