KZN man dies burning garden rubbish

Comment on this story
iol news pic Netcare logo

Durban - A oThongathi pensioner died when a fuel container he had been carrying exploded after it caught alight.

Joey Govender, 62, of Gemstone Road, Belgate, was burning garden refuse when the petrol container he was holding in his hand accidentally caught alight.

He was using the petrol to fuel the flames.

Govender was taken to hospital on Monday afternoon with burns to 90 percent of his body. He died yesterday.

Reaction Unit South Africa spokesman, Prem Balram, said his paramedics were at the scene. The man man suffered severe burns to his body, he said.

“The man was doing chores around his home when he decided to burn the dirt using petrol.

“The man poured petrol onto the fire. The canister caught alight and exploded,” Balram said.

Netcare 911 spokesman, Chris Botha, confirmed the man had 90 percent burns.

[email protected]

Daily News

sign up

Comment Guidelines

  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

  5. Verified email addresses: All users on Independent Media news sites are now required to have a verified email address before being allowed to comment on articles. You are only required to verify your email address once to have full access to commenting on articles. For more information please read our comment guidelines