Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Johannesburg - He remained cool, calm and relaxed as he made his first appearance on two counts of rape and two of murder.
The 30-year-old man is accused of killing two Soweto girls – Lungile Kubeka, 15, and Thembelihle Dlamini, 16.
The man, who cannot be named until he has pleaded, was arrested on Friday in Snake Park, Dobsonville, not far from Lungile’s home.
He also told the court he had a pending murder case in Rustenburg, North West.
Lungile and Thembelihle were raped and strangled, and their half-naked bodies were dumped in neighbours’ yards.
Lungile’s body was discovered by a neighbour in his yard in August. She had bruises on her face. Thembelihle’s body was found on Saturday, also in a neighbour’s yard.
On Monday, the accused made a brief appearance at the Protea Magistrate’s Court, and the matter was postponed to next Monday for him to obtain a legal representative after he requested a Legal Aid lawyer.
Earlier, the man had told the court he would conduct his own defence.
However, it was explained to him he was facing serious charges.
Investigating officer Colonel Ramantsane Matabane, from the national investigating team, said the Rustenburg murder charge had been provisionally withdrawn. However, he said it would be reinstated.
Speaking outside court, Thembelihle’s uncle, Bongani Dlamini, said he hoped the court would deal with the case thoroughly and send a strong message to other killers. “What he did was cruel,” he added.