Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Durban - A man charged with stealing shipping containers worth millions from Durban's harbour appeared in the Durban Regional Court on Tuesday.
Yusuf Omarjee's case was postponed to February 21 for further investigations, National Prosecuting Authority spokeswoman Natasha Ramkisson said.
He faces charges of theft, fraud and money-laundering. He was previously granted bail of R10 000.
Police spokesman Colonel Vincent Mdunge said the police's organised crime unit began its investigation in June 2012, when 14
stolen containers were found at a property in Queensburgh, Durban.
The owners of the property apparently bought the containers for R200 000 - a fraction of their value - from the storage company for which Omarjee worked.
Mdunge said foreign shipping companies stored empty containers at the company in Maydon Wharf, but often found some had gone missing. When the companies complained, other containers would go missing.
He said shipping companies had reported losses in excess of R100 million.
Mdunge said during the course of the investigation, Omarjee sought a high court order to have the investigating officer removed from the case, but the court rejected this. - Sapa