McNamara’s tik charges dropped

Comment on this story


Copy of ca p12 Dave McNamara done

Independent Newspapers

William Booth, accompanies his client, Dave McNamara outside the Cape Town Magistrate's Court. PICTURE: WILLEM LAW

Cape Town -

Former Western Cape Social Welfare Services chief director Dave McNamara has walked free from the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court after his charge of illegal possession of drug paraphernalia was withdrawn.

He is now a free man and “happy it’s over”, he said on Wednesday.

William Booth, for McNamara, made written submissions to the director of public prosecutions (DPP) to have the case dropped.

McNamara was arrested on June 28, 2011 after police stopped him at the Caltex garage in Orange Street. They searched him and found a broken glass pipe, commonly referred to as a tik lolly, and seven packets containing tik residue.

The case was withdrawn before McNamara could plead to the charges.

Booth’s first attempt to have the charges scrapped last year was unsuccessful but his second bid in January was in McNamara’s favour.

During a court appearance last year Booth said the DPP gave reasons why the first representation was turned down, but this was kept private.

In January, Booth said the DPP was considering the fresh representations and asked that the case be postponed to this month.

On Wednesday, prosecutor Leon Snyman said the instruction from the DPP was to withdraw the charges.

jade.otto@inl.co.za

Cape Argus


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory