Former police crime intelligence boss Richard Mdluli has denied involvement in murder and fraud, according to a report on Friday.
In an interview with the Mail & Guardian, Mdluli said the allegations derived from a “racist” plot by white Western Cape policemen who were investigating him.
The journalists who had been writing “bad things” about him were also all white.
“I have never been involved in a murder… For the 33 years I have been in the police, I have never pulled the trigger and killed a person in my life.”
Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa announced on Wednesday that Mdluli would be moved from his position as head of crime intelligence. His new position would be determined by acting national commissioner Lieutenant-General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi, Mthethwa told the National Assembly during debate on his budget vote.
Mthethwa said he had noted the “recent utterances, public discussions, and at times misrepresentation and misunderstanding” of SAPS processes by some in society, particularly in relation to the crucial crime intelligence division.
Mdluli is the subject of several investigations.
There is an ongoing inquest into his alleged involvement in murdering a man in 1999 with whom he shared a lover.
He is also alleged to have abused state money, and given jobs to his relatives. - Sapa
© 1999 - 2010 Independent Online. All rights strictly reserved.
Independent Online is a wholly owned subsidiary of Independent News & Media. Reliance on the information this site contains is at your own risk.