Mom shot dead, baby hit in face

Crime & Courts

Cape Town - A Cape Town family is mourning the death of their wife and mother after she was shot dead and her baby hit in the face while in her arms, in a mystery attack on Tuesday night.

The baby – a five-month-old – remains in intensive care in hospital.

Tell a friend
Nomampondo Zaula, 43, was shot dead in Fever Tree road outside her homje in Delft. Her 5 month old baby was also wounded and is in a coma.Mafu Zaula, 5 months old, is in a coma after he and his mother were shot in the road outside their house in Fever Tree Road in Delft.

On Wednesday Archibald Zaula told the Cape Argus of the dramatic events on Tuesday night, which left his 43-year-old wife Nomampondo dead outside the gate of their home in Fever Tree Way, Delft, and little Mafu fighting for his life.

He works repairing shoes at Gugulethu Square, where his wife also worked as a tailor.

“I was not home yet,” he explained.

Their eldest daughter, Sakhe, said her mother had been returning from work shortly after 8pm, and had been at the entrance to their home when she was shot.

“People told us they heard three shots – but we do not know who it was,” Zaula said, adding that his wife died at the scene.

Sakhe said her little brother had been hit in the face by a bullet, and they had urgently bundled the baby into a neighbour’s car and rushed him to the Delft day clinic, from wherethe baby was taken to Tygerberg Hospital.

Zaula said his baby son remained in intensive care.

Fever Tree Way lies in the west of Delft, a few kilometres north of the N2 and bordering the large tract of open land just east of Cape Town International Airport.

Shocked colleagues at Gugulethu Square said Nomampondo had been a tailor “since the late 80s” and was an expert seamstress.

“I saw her yesterday at work when I left – I had to leave early,” a shocked and traumatised Pam Mahala said. “She was working late.”

Another colleague, Cornelia Nomsa, said Nomampondo had worked in a cluster of tailors in the centre, adding that she was devastated by the news.

At the family home in Fever Tree Way, eldest daughter Sakhe, 22, said she understood that an aunt of hers was at the hospital, staying at the baby’s side.

She had three younger siblings who were all school-going pupils – two brothers and a sister – and they were at home with their father this morning, taking in the night’s devastating events.

Police spokesman Andre Traut confirmed the death today.

He said police believed the attack occurred at around 8.40pm and that the gunman had been an “unknown male”.

“The suspect fled on foot,” Traut reported.

Cape Argus

Tell a friend