The affordable education loan option
The case against soccer player Bryce Moon, who allegedly killed domestic worker Mavis Ncube in a car accident, was postponed in the Randburg Magistrate's Court on Friday.
Moon failed in a court bid on Friday to have all charges against him withdrawn and will return to court in October this year.
He faces charges of murder, alternatively attempted murder, drunken driving as well as reckless or negligent driving.
“There is reasonable evidence to convict,” said Magistrate Vincent Pienaar while handing down his ruling.
Pienaar ruled that a charge of being over the legal alcohol limit be dropped, due to a technicality related to the taking of the blood sample.
But Moon would still face a charge of drunken driving.
His lawyer Naren Sangham said Moon would still face the drunken driving charge because some witnesses who testified in court claimed he had smelled of alcohol.
Moon allegedly hit Ncube while he was driving down Katherine Street in Sandhurst in 2009. She was taken to the Morningside Clinic, where she died of her injuries.
Earlier on Friday the court heard how Moon had not intentionally killed Ncube.
Sangham told the court that there were no objective facts to prove that he had intentions to murder Ncube.
“One has to look at the evidence to see that there is not a shred or iota that can lead the court to the accused having intentions to commit murder,” said Sangham.
He referred to testimony given by Thandi Sibanda, who was walking with Ncube at the time of the accident.
She had testified that she heard the sound of a rapidly approaching car and that she and Ncube ran into the road to avoid being hit by it.
State prosecutor Rodger Mareume opposed the application and argued that there was enough prima facie evidence against Moon.
Speaking outside the court, Moon said Friday marked the third anniversary of the fatal accident.
He said it did not feel like three years had gone by, but instead felt like 30 years. - Sapa