Start making sense of your financial wellness.

Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv

Mthethwa dismisses Mdluli cover-up claims

Comment on this story


iol nws april 22 si mthethwa

INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPERS

Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa. Photo: Jeffrey Abrahams

Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa dismissed allegations of cover-ups during the investigation into divisional commissioner on crime intelligence Richard Mdluli on Friday.

“Allegations and insinuations of cover-ups are unfounded and ought to be dismissed out of hand,” he said.

The Inspector General of Intelligence, Faith Radebe, had the legal mandate of oversight with regard to the financial management of Crime Intelligence and was currently looking into the allegations that there was abuse of the intelligence secret fund and concerns relating to interceptions.

She can also examine other matters that arise.

“Those who claim to have such information should therefore place it before the competent authorities,” a statement from Mthethwa's spokesman Zweli Mnisi said.

People have also asked why action has not been taken against Mdluli, the statement continued.

“There are clear policies and programmes governing the role of the minister so that there is no blurring of the reporting lines between the minister and the management of the South African Police Service.

“The minister is committed to adhering to these rules and practices and will therefore not address such matters through the media.”

Mthethwa wanted to remind the media when he himself faced allegations made to the Public Protector, he welcomed the investigation that followed and offered his full co-operation.

He also initiated a request to the auditor-general to investigate the allegations, and that investigation is currently underway.

Last year Mdluli faced fraud and corruption charges relating to alleged misuse of a crime intelligence fund, the purchase of luxury vehicles and the hiring of family members.

He also faced a murder charge for the alleged murder of the boyfriend of a former girlfriend.

Both sets of charges have been withdrawn.

The murder charge became an inquest.

On April 15, City Press reported that Mdluli personally ordered that a security risk assessment be done on Mthethwa's house. Money was reportedly paid from a secret services account to build a wall.

Mdluli has also allegedly hired relatives of Mthethwa, which Mthethwa has denied.

A theory in the media is that Mdluli is being kept in place so that his intelligence skills and contacts can be put to use to retain President Jacob Zuma as head of the ruling ANC at their elective conference at the end of this year. – Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory