Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa on Tuesday visited the home of the Soweto teenager who was gang-raped last week.
“We came here primarily to interact with members of the community... We've heard that some are angry with the mother of the child. We contend that she is also a victim and we've come to plead with them to protect her,” the minister said.
Mthethwa was pleased with the support shown by the community.
“The response from the community is that they are here themselves to protect such families,” he said.
The minister was scheduled to visit several communities in Soweto, to thank them for their support and to urge them to build and strengthen their relationship with the police.
This initiative comes after the video-taped gang-rape of a 17-year-old Soweto girl.
Seven of the accused, including two minors, appeared in the Roodepoort Magistrate's Court on April 19, while the 37-year-old accused of kidnapping and holding the girl against her will appeared on Friday.
The cases were postponed to April 25 and May 4 respectively for further investigation. – Sapa