Mwrebi served with summonsComment on this story
Johannesburg - Specialised commercial crime unit head Lawrence Mrwebi has been served with a summons to appear in court, the Hawks said on Thursday.
“I can confirm that Lawrence Mrwebi was served with a summons yesterday (Wednesday) to appear in court on 25 September,” spokesman Captain Paul Ramaloko said.
Mrwebi would appear in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court.
The charges relate to defeating the ends of justice, which had to do with the withdrawal of two cases, one of them against former police crime intelligence head Richard Mdluli.
In August, criminal charges were laid against three senior National Prosecuting Authority officials, including Mrwebi.
Mrwebi faces charges of perjury along with former acting NPA head Nomgcobo Jiba, and director of public prosecutions for north Gauteng, Sibongile Mzinyathi.
The charges followed court findings about the NPA's leadership last year.
This was after rights group Freedom Under Law successfully applied to overturn the dropping of criminal charges against Mdluli.
Last month, Mdluli was formally charged in the High Court in Johannesburg, sitting in Palm Ridge. He faces charges of kidnapping, assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm, intimidation, and defeating the ends of justice related to a 15-year-old crime.
Charges against Mdluli were reinstated earlier this year after the Supreme Court of Appeal upheld a high court ruling against the withdrawal of fraud and corruption charges against him.
Mdluli was suspended amid allegations of fraud and corruption, and charges relating to the murder of his ex-lover's husband Oupa Ramogibe in February 1999.
In the 15-year-old case, Mdluli and three others were initially accused of killing Ramogibe, of intimidation, kidnapping, assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm, attempted murder, and conspiracy to commit murder.
At the time, Mdluli was station commander of the Vosloorus police station in Boksburg, on the East Rand. He was accused of sabotaging the investigation.
He allegedly intimidated and assaulted the family and friends of his ex-lover to find out where she had moved to when she got married.
The fraud and corruption charges relate to Mdluli's time as crime intelligence unit head.
He is accused of employing family members and friends as intelligence operatives, and misusing police money to buy luxury cars.
The fraud and corruption charges were withdrawn on December 14, 2011. In March 2012, Mdluli was reinstated as crime intelligence head.
A month later, the NPA provisionally withdrew the murder charges, pending an inquest into the matter.
In May that year, then police minister Nathi Mthethwa announced Mdluli would be transferred from crime intelligence to the office of the deputy national police commissioner for operations.
Later, he was suspended for a second time when allegations emerged from the inquest into Ramogibe's murder. In November 2012, the inquest cleared Mdluli of any involvement in the murder.