N West protesters’ case postponedComment on this story
Brits - Fourteen people accused of contravening the National Road Traffic Act appeared in the Brits Magistrate's Court on Wednesday, North West police said.
The case was postponed to February 27 and the 14 were released on a warning, Colonel Sabata Mokgwabone said.
The ages of the 14 range from 17 to 50. They were arrested after residents of Mothutlung near Brits took to the streets and barricaded roads.
Mokgwabone said earlier on Wednesday the roads had been cleared and the situation was under control. Residents started protesting on Sunday afternoon about a water shortage in Mothutlung.
On Monday, two men were killed, allegedly by police, during the protests. Mokgwabone said another man died after he allegedly tried to escape from a moving Nyala armoured vehicle. He said the man and his friend were arrested on Tuesday for public violence in the area.
“The men were put in the Nyala that was headed to the police station. One man managed to escape and the other tried to escape, but fell from a moving Nyala.”
Mokgwabone said the man sustained head injuries and was taken to the Job Shimankana hospital where he died.
“A case of inquest will be referred to Independent Police Investigative Directorate for investigation. An internal investigation will be done based on the recommendation from the Ipid.”