N2 brick throwing attacks continue

Comment on this story
IOL pics Bricks rocks construction REUTERS .

Durban - A woman is due to undergo reconstructive surgery on Thursday after sustaining serious injuries when she was struck in the face by a rock thrown off a bridge on the N2 at about 9pm on Tuesday.

Two other people were hurt after their cars were hit by “unidentified” objects and rocks near the new Blackburn pedestrian bridge, between Blackburn Village and uMhlanga Rocks town centre, between 7am and 8am on Wednesday.

In the first incident, Vishani Radindranath, 42, had been travelling with her husband from Sibaya Casino when a brick was flung from the bridge, breaking the windshield and striking her on the side of her face, said Mervyn Naidoo, her brother-in-law.

“She was bleeding profusely and fell unconscious on her husband’s lap. Paramedics from uMhlanga Hospital rushed her to the premises as several of her teeth were knocked out and her jaw was severely injured,” he said.

“She is at King Edward Hospital, where doctors will conduct reconstructive surgery on her. Our family are traumatised and worried about her, and we hope she gets better soon.”

In the second incident early on Thursday, Jeeth Singh, 41, was going home from work when his car was hit by a rock thrown off the bridge.

“The object looked like a rock or a brick. It struck the roof of my car and then ricocheted on to the windshield,” he said.

“I could not panic as there was traffic behind me, so I continued driving. However, I nearly lost control of the car as I swerved and almost veered off the road,” he said.

Singh said glass from the windshield cut his hand.

“I read about a similar incident in the newspaper. Never did I think that it would happen to me. The people doing this need to stop because it is endangering lives.”

A policeman said another person had reported that his car had been struck between the uMhlanga and Sibaya off-ramps. “He was lucky because he was not injured.”

A spokesman for the SAPS Captain Thulani Zwane confirmed that police from Phoenix were investigating the incidents, but said thatno arrests had been made.

He confirmed that two other cars had been struck in the same area. Last month, the police said they were conducting patrols near pedestrian bridges over major roads in an effort to catch those responsible.

Zwane said: “We are also working with crime intelligence to catch those who are responsible.”

Last month, Michael Nannucci, 71, was killed when two bricks were flung on to his car from a pedestrian bridge over the N2 close to the old airport. - The Mercury


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.