Johannesburg - Nike has suspended payments to and its contract with paralympian Oscar Pistorius, who is charged with the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, the sportswear company said on Thursday.
“Nike has suspended its contract with Oscar Pistorius,” Nike SA communications manager Seruscka Naidoo said in a statement.
“We believe Oscar Pistorius should be afforded due process and we will continue to monitor the situation closely.”
Asked to give more details, Naidoo replied in an e-mail: “It means Nike has suspended his contracts and payments.”
A few days ago, Associated Press reported that Nike had no plans to use Pistorius in future campaigns.
On Wednesday, Pistorius was dropped from an advertising campaign for French cosmetics company Clarins.
“Out of respect and compassion for the families implicated in this tragedy, Thierry Mugler Perfumes has taken the decision to withdraw all its campaigns with Oscar Pistorius,” the group said.
Clarins SA spokeswoman Jody Hyam confirmed this.
Pistorius had been the ambassador of Mugler A* Men Fragrance since 2011.
His bail application is being held in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court.
Sunglasses company Oakley is among those which have distanced themselves from him since he was charged.
M-Net Movies also pulled its “Every night is Oscar night” campaign “out of respect and sympathy to the bereaved”.
Pistorius has earned millions of dollars in endorsements. - Sapa