Durban - The investigation into the attempted murder of Kloof businessman Bruce Galloway last year has been closed, with the police satisfied he did not fake his own kidnapping.
The 53-year-old former SA Canegrowers’ Association chairman went missing from his Intengu Road home in the early hours of July 23. He was found three days later on a ledge in Kloof Gorge, less than 5km from his home.
Galloway said he had been abducted from his home by armed robbers who assaulted him and tried to extort money from him. When he resisted, they threw him over Kloof Gorge in an attempt to kill him.
It was rumoured he had faked his kidnapping because he was in financial difficulty and his explanation of what happened was implausible.
However, Pinetown police Lieutenant Bongumusa Manqele said the investigating officer was satisfied he had told the truth.
“The case was closed and nobody came to the police to say the kidnapping was fake.
“The investigating officer was satisfied with what he was told by the victim.”
Security video footage which showed a man, bearing a striking resemblance to Galloway, walking away from his home at about the time he was allegedly kidnapped “does not clearly show the photo of the person is indeed Galloway”, said Manqele.
He added that the investigation into the case, in terms of finding and arresting those responsible, was also closed.
When The Mercury asked Galloway what his thoughts were, considering his case was closed and his alleged kidnappers would not be found, he replied via SMS: “I have worked closely with the police throughout my ordeal. I didn’t comment to the press then and I have no comment now.”
Galloway was also asked how he was doing after his “ordeal”, but he did not respond.
However, indications on Facebook are that he has recovered well from the incident, with Christmas photos showing him happy and relaxed with family and friends. He is seen with his wife and children, all smiles.