No trust amongst rightwing plottersComment on this story
Bloemfontein - The alleged plotters of the foiled attack on the ANC's Mangaung conference in 2012 did not trust each other, the Bloemfontein High Court heard on Wednesday.
“He (Mark Trollip) did not trust Martin Keevy,” a police infiltrator, known only as Mr A, told the court. He is the State's first witness.
Judge Mojalefa Rampai was hearing evidence in the treason and conspiracy trial of Johan Prinsloo, 51, of Springs.
Prinsloo faces charges of treason, conspiracy to take part in terrorist acts, and possession of illegal ammunition.
Prinsloo, Trollip, 48, and Keevy, 49, were arrested in connection with an alleged plan to launch an attack at the African National Congress's Mangaung conference in December 2012.
Prinsloo's lawyer Johann Nel was cross-examining Mr A for a second day on Wednesday. Nel wanted to know why Keevy was not aware of a meeting in Ficksburg where firearms would be picked up for the planned attack.
“He (Trollip) said we need a new hiding place for the weapons, because he did not trust Keevy. He was too radical and would probably not follow orders,” Mr A said.
Nel for the most of Wednesday tested Mr A's testimony-in-chief.
It was at the Ficksburg meeting where Mr A first met “die oom met die grys baard” (the uncle with the grey beard), who later turned out to be Prinsloo.
The court heard that at the Ficksburg meeting Trollip gave more details of the planned attack on the ANC's conference at the University of the Free State. The Callie Human Centre was the main target of the attack.
Mr A testified a mortar bomb would be fired from Naval Hill at the main entrance of the Callie Human Centre on December 16, 2012.
When conference delegates began streaming out of the venue the plan was to fire another mortar bomb at the entrance and open fire with automatic rifles.
Two private Cessna aircraft, loaded with weaponry, would then make sure President Jacob Zuma did not escape the area, the court heard.
Mr A was apparently told simultaneous attacks would be launched on military bases in the Free State and Limpopo. Attacks on infrastructure such as fuel storage tanks and railway lines were planned to take place in the Eastern Cape at the same time.
Trollip pleaded guilty to a charge of conspiracy and was sentenced to eight years in prison last year.
Keevy was declared unfit to stand trial and declared a state president's patient in October last year.
The trial continues.