The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) is reconsidering whether to press criminal charges against Cape Town schoolboys who allegedly sexually assaulted a teammate with several objects.
And the Western Cape’s most senior education official, Penny Vinjevold, is to rule on possible action against the Edgemead High School pupils.
The 16-year-old was allegedly assaulted with a broomstick and a banana during an initiation at a rugby camp in March at Velddrif.
During the assault he had his eyebrows and head shaved and a penis drawn on his bald head. The incident was recorded on cellphones by the perpetrators.
Police spokesman Lieutenant Colonel André Traut said last week that a case had been registered and investigated, adding: “The completed case docket was presented to the senior state prosecutor, who declined to prosecute in the matter. The case was subsequently withdrawn.”
Traut said on Tuesday that the NPA was reconsidering the matter.
“This office is not in a position to disclose all the aspects of the investigation, as sexual crimes are regarded as sensitive,” he said. “This office can, however, confirm that the case docket is currently being reviewed by the director of public prosecutions.”
The education department is doing its own investigation headed by the director of the Metropole North education district, Dr Hein Brand. The boy’s father confirmed a “long and productive meeting” with the official last night. Brand will submit his report to Vinjevold.
The chairwoman of school’s governing body, Mr L Smith, has contested the father’s report that his son was physically assaulted, dismissing the matter as a “prank”.
In a statement, she said: “Despite media coverage alleging criminal acts on the part of the pupils, no such evidence was forthcoming in the investigation, and no such evidence was provided by the parents of the pupil. Had the SGB (school governing body) found evidence that warranted investigation by external authorities, the SGB would have referred the matter to such authorities.”