NWest ANC shocked by court case

North West - The ANC in the North West said on Wednesday it was “shocked” that a group of its members had approached the High Court in Mafikeng to have its delegation to Mangaung conference interdicted.

“The provincial leadership notes that there are continued efforts aimed at discrediting the outcomes of the nomination conference and possible outcome of our national conference,” said spokesman Kenny Morolong.

The group applied for an order to interdict the registration of delegates to the party's elective conference in Mangaung next week.

The case was postponed to Friday.

The provincial conference chose President Jacob Zuma as its preferred nominee for president at the party's upcoming elective conference in Mangaung.

The conference was marred by divisions over who the province should nominate for president.

Provincial chairman Supra Mahumapelo led a faction campaigning for a second term for Zuma.

Provincial secretary Kabelo Mataboge led a faction calling for Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe to be nominated for president.

Mataboge was shot at while opening the gate to his home in Mmabatho last month, but was not wounded.

Morolong said the party would defend the outcome of its nomination conference.

“The ANC will commence a process to verify membership of those who brought this matter before court and those who are confirmed as members will face appropriate action as prescribed in our Constitution.” - Sapa