CLOSE X
Advertisement

#ORTamboHeist: Accused found to have multiple identities

Crime & Courts
Johannesburg – The State in the case of one of the men accused of being involved in last month's heist at OR Tambo International Airport, on Thursday revealed that the man had multiple identities. Prince Dube, 43, was allegedly part of a gang suspected of planning and executing the airport heist.

The suspects made off with R20.7 million. Dube is facing charges of robbery with aggravating circumstances and could spend 15 years behind bars if he is found guilty.

State prosecutor Jacob Serepo submitted a supplementary affidavit by investigating officer Colonel Mabina Mahlangu which contained information from the criminal record centre.

Share this story
File picture: Independent Media

The affidavit stated that Dube had 14 names, five surnames, six birth dates as well as four previous convictions. Serepo also submitted an affidavit from SARS commissioner Ockert Muller, that said that Dube was not registered with Sars for personal income tax for various tax periods and that he was linked to three different companies, some of which had no income tax documents.

Through advocate Oscar Machevele, Dube told the court that he knew the companies mentioned by the state, but was not the sole owner of all of them and had business partners. He said the R400 000 he earned was per annum and not per month as he had previously stated.

Machevele said that Dube was confused during his previous appearence when he told the court he earned R400 000 per month. Machevele argued that there were suspects who were released on bail and subsequently had the charges against them dropped.

He said the state was merely making allegations and had no evidence against Dube linking him to the heist.

He also said his client had been assaulted and forced to make submissions.

He further argued that money was found at the residence of a certain woman and not in the possession of Dube. He added that Dube was not asked where the SPV bullet proof vests came from, who they belonged to and why they were in his possession.

Dube's advocate said that there was no real proof of him being in South Africa illegally as the state had not supplied any information about the person whose identity he allegedly stole. Court proceedings are expected to resume later on Thursday.

Share this story
Advertisement
X