Oscar channel to take a break

Comment on this story
Copy of iol news pic oscar trial Day 23 3 AP Oscar Pistorius reacts as he listens to forensic evidence being given in court. Photo: Gianluigi Guercia/AP

Pretoria - The Oscar Pistorius Trial Channel will take a break for two weeks, from next Monday to May 5, spokeswoman Michelle Esau said.

“The pop-up channel (DStv channel 199) will continue with repeats and an omnibus of the week's court proceedings throughout the Easter weekend, and will pop down on Monday, April 21,” she said on Thursday.

The channel, broadcast from a studio in Johannesburg, has regular live crossings to the courtroom, sending out audio of the full trial and televising parts of it.

Pistorius shot dead his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, 29, on February 14 last year, through a locked bathroom door at his upmarket Pretoria East home. He says he mistook her for an intruder.

He has pleaded not guilty to a charge of murder, and to three charges of contravening the Firearms Control Act.

Pistorius, 27, whose legs were amputated below the knee when he was an infant, has achieved international fame as the “Blade Runner”.

He has excelled as a paralympian, running on two carbon-fibre blades, and competed against able-bodied athletes in the London 2012 Olympic Games.

The trial is set to resume in the High Court in Pretoria on May 5. - Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.